Friday, January 8, 2010

The OTHER little one

Okay...so until I got pregnant, Brutus was my baby. I even carried him on my hip when he was a puppy and got tired. I know, I know...but I loves my baby. ANYWAY...

The past couple of months, he's been exhibiting some weird behavior. I'm not sure if it's behavioral or environmental. Basically...he'll pester to be petted...and then when I tell him no and to lay down because I don't want to pet him, he'll wander off to a different room and heave until he vomits bile. I don't want him to be sick, but at the same time, I would hate to pay for a vet visit because my dog is emotionally bulimic.

It seems to me it's more behavioral than environmental, mostly because it's only happend like 3 or 4 times in the past month...it's not consistent. We are going to try giving him a little food in the morning and a little food at night and see if that helps. We are also going to try letting him sleep in the bedroom, as well. I think he knows that something is up and is trying to compensate. I've been cutting back on the attention I pay him because I know that he won't get as much once the baby is here, and I'm thinking it might be more of a reaction to this.

I just don't know what to do...because he's been sick before...and this is not how he acts when he's sick. Another reason I feel it's more of a behavioral/emotional response to things than an actual physical response.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've heard of dogs having eating disorders before, but not bulimia. That being said, there's always a first and possibly it's not even that.

    I haven't cut back on the attention I pay my dogs because I'm a softie. I think I'll be able to find a balance when kiddo gets here because I won't always be the one holding him; so when Ivan is having daddy time, I'll have doggie time.

    ReplyDelete