Monday, November 16, 2009

Ultrasounds and baby's sex...ugh

Various things have made me consider switching doctors, and today's visit just made me even more frustrated. I got in, and they said "You're 19 weeks 1 day, right?" I said, "yes". Normally they have had me 2 weeks ahead of everybody's count, so I assumed they were going off LMP.

Not so. They just messed up, and while the ultrasound said I was one thing, the doctor's office never changed my records to reflect that. Nice, huh? So then I was talking to the doctor and she asks "You haven't had your H1N1 shot?" "Yes, I got it 2 weeks ago. I even saw Dr. Rahje briefly because the schedulers entered my visit in incorrectly." "There's no record of it. Let me go check with my nurse." So she goes and checks. "Oh...you haven't had the SEASONAL shot." "That's right, your nurse was going to give it to me today." Okay.

Oh yeah...and because they had my dates all messed up, they drew my blood too early for the quad-screen...so I had to have blood re-drawn today. How thrilling.

The lack of communication really gets me going. Combine this with the fact that I diligently searched all Medicaid information I could find to see if they would cover a second routine ultrasound during my pregnancy. You can't believe me excitement when I found out they did! I would get to see the baby when it looked like a baby (and not a blob) and maybe, hopefully, find out if it was a boy or a girl.

Those hopes were nearly destroyed today when I asked about scheduling it and she told me that they don't do routine ultrasounds because "your insurance may not cover it." I said "Well...I only asked because I know Medicaid covers 2 ultrasounds per pregnancy." She then informed me that she usually finds some "reason" to send somebody to get one, but not until they're 25 to 27 weeks. Do the math. That's JANUARY! Women who are almost a month behind me in their pregnancy know what they're having. I nearly cried. I have had the single most uneventful pregnancy I've ever heard of. Good luck finding some miracle reason to have an ultrasound.

I don't even feel like I need to know, I think I was just excited to see a baby. For it to be more real.

On a brighter note, I was lying on my back in bed with my hands on my belly and I felt the baby kick from the outside. So I guess there's that.

2 comments:

  1. They were going to try that with me too! I said, "Give me a break, I think it'd cost medicaid more if YOU screwed up by assuming I'm fine without looking at the baby. I will have a U/S and I'll call medicaid and hold for 45 mins myself to get proof!" So 4 weeks later (week 19) I get a doctor instead of an RN and he said "We'll get you an U/S week 21 after turkey day." And he had no idea that I had problems weeks before. He just said it naturally where the RN said I wasn't going to get one because I'm not high risk. How does she know? She look at my placenta or baby for tumors, growths, etc? NO"

    I'm tired of getting treated like welfare trash (even though not everyone is a crook using it and I'm not even on it) But there are days I swear since I don't have a PPO I must be an abuser of the system. No, I'm a user, not abuser. I was a tax paying, job holding, credit card paying citizen for 10 years before I lost it all. They can kiss my pregnant ass. LOL

    Good luck to you Bridgette. See you on BBC

    Almgypsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in Canada so I can't really comment on the American medical system BUT, I think if you contact your insurance provider that perhaps they can send you a letter stating your coverage and then you can go abck and say that you want a U/S.

    If it makes you feel any better - I had my 2nd U/S at 18 wks and my baby kept its legs closed so it is still a mystery.

    Good luck!

    vitalessence from babycenter.com

    ReplyDelete