Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lil'G's crazy birth

I went in at 10pm on 4/20 for an induction. When I arrived, I was told that the pitocin had been pushed back to 2 am, but they'd get me hooked up and get a baseline reading and let me sleep till they started the meds. They hooked me up to the monitors and her HR was 175. For 20 minutes it wouldn't drop below 170. The doctor came in. Since I hadn't been started on meds, they decided she was in distress and I was rushed away for an emergency c-section. Dave tried to slow things down so I could catch up, but the doctors felt that it was necessary.

I agreed to the c-section and essentially went into shock. I was shaking so bad when they put the spinal in, they had to stop and ask me to hold my breath. I don't remember much of the surgery, except that when I finally saw her (they had the clean-up station on my side of the curtain), I cried, and they kept talking about her pooping. After they had her cleaned up, she and Dave went to recovery while they sewed me back together.

I found out she had passed meconium in the womb, and that my placenta had started to fail a few days prior. Her umbilical cord had started to shrink and she wasn't getting enough nutrients. I was only 10 days over-due.

We're both doing well, now. Resting at home. Perhaps tomorrow I will be rested enough to share the fantastic wonder that was my recovery.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you two are doing well now. I'm sure I would be in shock too, everything went so fast!

    ReplyDelete