Sunday, June 6, 2010

6 weeks and in the ER

So...I feel like I pulled a FTM classic...the freakout.

To begin. Lil' G has exhibited signs of dairy intolerance. So I gave up my precious cheeses and milk. Things started looking better. I discovered, through my binge on edamame, that she also has a soy intolerance. *sigh*... Things start looking up again.

Insert projectile vomiting. And green foamy, runny poo. And a baby who has a temperature of 100.1. I know we're not quite to the 100.4 stage, but really...please...who wants to sit around and wait for that last 3/10 of a degree!?

So...call the on-call doctor. She says go to the ER. We go to the ER where she was born. They want to draw blood. If you have never had to have your infant's blood drawn, thank whatever higher power you ascribe to. Seriously. Poor Joe The Lab Guy (that's what his name tag said...not kidding) with his spiked hair and tattoos was sweating bullets as my 9lb, 6 week old baby screamed her lungs out for 20 minutes while he scooped drops of blood off her heel. After he was done, I scooped her up and cuddled her and apologized to her. He did, too and escaped as quickly as possible. We hang out, feed her pedialyte...keeps that down. Feed her half pedialyte/half milk. Lil' G spits up some, but nothing super major. All they keep telling me is her labs are coming back fine. They say it might be rotavirus, but as long as she stays hydrated, she's fine. 5 hours later, they let us go...the verdict: Infant Colic. That's right...the same baby that was flirting with the male nurse and babbling to the other nurses has infant colic. The discharge nurse basically suggested I get a second opinion on Monday.

We get home. Both of us are exhausted. I had called my mom to let her know Lil' G is sick and we won't be visiting this weekend as planned. Then I vent about the verdict. My mom does not agree...neither do I. The discharge nurse had mentioned pyloric stenosis. I start fretting. Decide that if things don't change by morning, we'll go to the U. 3:00am, we get up to feed her...and she's not wet. 4am. still not wet. this is 6 hours without peeing. I decide to take her in to the ER then. We go to the U. Her vitals look fine and her temperature is down. They cath her for a urine sample. Only slightly less traumatic than the blood draw. After everything comes back, they're going to send me home with a big "I don't know" when Lil'G poops. It is the stank-nastiest poop she has ever had in her life and completely green liquid. The doctor looks at it and goes "oh. oh my." and leaves the room. 20 minutes later she comes back. They've ordered an abdominal ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis. We wait about 2 hours for the radiology team. We go up to the ultrasound room. Lil'G is totally non-cooperative, squirming all over the place. The tech does her best and goes to get the doctors. Lil'G and I lay down on the u/s table and she passes out. A doctor comes in with the tech. Lil'G stays passed out and they can finally get a good shot at her pylorus. No problems. It looks good. The doc then moves around to look at her esophagus, since she has food in her belly. No signs of reflux. More pictures of the pylorus, and we are sent back down to the ER to wait for the official verdict. Finally, the verdict comes in. "Not pyloric stenosis. We don't know. Not an infection, not dehydration. Not reflux." Well...we know a lot of what it isn't. I'm crying in frustration at this point...I've had 3 hours of sleep. I haven't eaten. I had to dump 5oz of breast milk down the drain because it had been 6 hours since I pumped it. My baby is still spitting up. Her poop is still grass-green and liquid with no fat. And nobody can tell me why.

The doctor who got to draw the short straw and tell me there's nothing the ER can do for her at this point and to go see my ped on Monday suggests she's overeating. "She's eating more than my 3 month old." Then your 3 month old is underfed...because she's barely taking in 24oz in 24 hours...less than the recommended amount at her age. I think I taught him about breast feeding, to be honest. He tells me she might just be spitty. That's right. But he knows nothing about baby poop except that babies change things like that frequently. NOT BREASTFED BABIES. *sigh*

His boss comes in to give me the discharge papers. She is a little more helpful and suggests a GI visit might be necessary. She also mentions allergies. This is not something they treat in the ER, but something to bring up with my doctor when we see her on Monday (I made an appt between idiot-man and her visits). This is something I can research and grab onto. There is hope that I can fix this. Lil'G and I go home. We have now spent a total of 13 hours in the ER in the past 24 hours. We have no answers, except that as long as she stays hydrated, she won't die and will make it to the doctor on Monday.

Lil'G is passed out when we get home. I don't even bother trying to wake her to eat or change...she goes to bed. I get food before I pass out and then I join her. I ask PapaD to wake me in 3 hours. He says "okay. I won't" And walks out. I just sigh and go to sleep. When I wake up, Lil'G is still sleeping. I go pump and come back. Still sleeping. I crawl into bed with her and go back to sleep. She fusses and wakes me up an hour later. Not wet. 5 hours without a wet. Here we go. She had pooped, though...so as I was disposing of the poopy diaper, I come back...there is a flood on the changing table (yes, I'm evil and leave her on the changing table since the only place she can go from there is in the pnp). That's right...my child has night-potty trained herself already.

She's still much more sleepy than usual. But her poops are more normal...though there is definite signs of bloody mucus. I'm just holding it together until tomorrow. Hopefully we will have some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment